Thursday, July 3, 2008

Trial or Blessing?






I can't decide if my children's food allergies are a trial or a blessing, or just both. Some days I just want to scream and others I feel the motivation to do my very best.
My oldest son, Addison has a gluten allergy and sugar intolerance due candida yeast. When he has gluten which is in flour, so pretty much in everything =(, he gets really naughty and mean. He will talk back and go out of his way to take toys away from his sister and yell at her. When he has sugar he gets crazy eczema in the folds of his arms and on his neck and he itches until he is bleeding. He then is up all night because he is so itchy and can't sleep because he hurts so bad. I hate this so bad. When Addison was a baby, we took him to the doctor and he said it was just eczema and a majority of children get it and to just put Cortisone creams on it.We then had Tim's aunt muscle test Addison and she said he had candida yeast and the sugar was just feeding it and it was just growing and was manifesting itself through the skin. I had a really hard time believing that someone couldn't have sugar and I didn't listen. This last January Addison broke out so bad and was so naughty I knew something was wrong. I sat down with Tim's aunt Teresa and she explained to me what his little body was going through. She also gave me a book, The Truth About Beauty by Kat James. Teresa helped me come up with a diet for Addison and Tim and I jumped on it. Within the next few weeks he was our happy, sweet, nice boy again.
I have read this book and it has really helped me to understand nutrition better as a whole. I grew up in a house full of kids were my poor mother did her best, but it all came down to, she would feed us what we would eat and that wasn't always a good thing. I was the coolest girl in school because my sack lunches consisted of a candy bar, cookies, chips, fruit roll-ups, capri-suns and whatever else we would eat. I remember one day my dad fixed our lunches for us for some reason and at lunch when I opened up my bag there was a sandwich in there!!!! Gross! I didn't eat that day. That just goes to show how bad of an eater I was. The food that we put into these growing little bodies is so important. I have decided to ditch fast food altogether and try to give my kids fresh alive food that their bodies can get the most out of, even if it is more expensive. Their health is that important to me, besides, maybe I can cut their risk of diabetes or cancer.
My whole point in this is I am really excited about food and learning more about the body and how the digestive tract works and also how we break down different components of food. I want to learn everything I can so that when I see another mom struggling with her children's eczema I can speak up and say, "Did you know that you can cure that and stop the cortisone creams that are doing more bad to your little child's body than helping?" Most of all though I want to do right by my son. I have let him suffer because I was ignorant.
Since my little Kael has been born we have also had aunt Teresa test him and she has said that he is intolerant to dairy and he also has a gluten allergy. I have been so careful with everything that I eat, and as a bonus, I have lost over 50 pounds in the last 3 months! Also fast food is out and I don't even miss it!
Addison does pretty good, and we have explained to him what sugar and gluten will do to his body if he eats it, so now he asks before he eats anything if it is good for him, and if it has sugar or wheat in it. It is really a slap in the face when your 3 year old will stop eating sweets because he doesn't want to hurt, and all this time I have been giving them to him because I have felt that he needs a treat!
So here are some pictures. We ran out of his special food and ate foods that were simple carbs instead of complex ones. And he ate some cereal and some fruit. Also a lady gave him a quarter at the bank the other day when I wouldn't so he could buy candy from those little candy dispensers. I said no for a reason, but I guess she thought I was just a mean mom! So this is what it looks like.

1 comment:

Stucki Family said...

Rachel,
I am proud of you. Taking something that is a challenge and learning and growing from it! It is a mother's responsibility to take care of our family, whatever it takes. I think you are doing a great job!