Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Educate yourselves!!


I was watching Oprah yesterday and it was about kids and food! She said there is an obesity epidemic in the U.S. and I believe her. She talked about our kids not getting the nutrition they need and also how they won't eat there vegetables.
There is also a commercial I love for a local hospital here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7O693mzp6M#
Watch it, it is really cute.
But I feel so strongly about it. It is not easy being parents and we feed our children what we eat and so I am challenging us all to make the change for the better!!! Start right from the beginning when our children are small. Make it a priority to make them their vegetables and a healthy meal for every meal! Do your research and educate yourselves on food and nutrition. As parents we say we would do anything for our kids...we would give our own lives for them- so give it! Make the sacrifice and I promise you they will thank you for it!
I know anyone who knows me is probably laughing right now because I am the biggest food junkie out there, and you can tell I am no where near healthy, or thin! But guess what! In the last 3 months I have lost 52 pounds just from eating smarter! I have completely cut out sugar, fast food, and gluten! I have been reading books and looking online trying to educate and better myself. As the mother and food preparer in my home I know that the change I want to make in my family has to start with me.
I challenge you mothers out there to just check into what is in a children's fruit drink or a simple snack your kids eat everyday? Do you know how to pronounce the ingredients? Do you even have any idea what they are? It would just make you sick and angry to know that these food companies are knowingly poisoning our children! I am becoming very passionate about this. I try to remember my sister's advice about moderation in all things, but now that I know what I know, there is no turning back. This will be hard and trying, but I am doing it for my family who means everything to me.
I hope this post isn't offensive to anyone. And if anyone wants to know more, I would love to talk about it!! Also there is a book I am dying to read. It is about how we can cure anything, like diabetes, anxiety, etc. with food and other natural resources. I will let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

Stucki Family said...

You are getting me interested in all this stuff too! I agree that it is important to feed our kids correctly. It is just too easy to stop at McDonalds now a days! Keep up the good work!

D-dawg said...

Rachel I totally agree and totally believe in all that stuff! It is just so hard to make it work, you know? I am good at making a great dinner for my kids- it's just their snacks that could be so much healthier. Thanks for the info.