
I think he looks just like Kael in this picture. I sure make cute kids!

All my boys!

Kael's first time holding his new little brother!

Addison's first time holding Gabe, he was so excited and as you can see Ileigh couldn't wait to get her hands on him!

Ileigh's turn at last. She is such a little mother to Gabe!

Protective Addison.

So excited to take Gabe home.

Addison got to sit by Gabe so he could help.

Last night in the NICU!

All the tubes are out! Now we just needed to get rid of the wires!

My poor little guy. Hard day today.

We came to take Gabe home on this day and then found out he had some dips in his heart rate, they did a chest x-ray and then when I tried to give him his bottle after, he just quit breathing. The nurses were amazing, but poor little Gabe went from ready to come home to square one. It was the scariest moment of my entire life to see my tiny son not breathing, I am forever grateful for those nurses who saved him.

Wide awake. So handsome.


They put him on oxygen and it was amazing to see the difference in him. He started eating more and was more alert. I thought they switched little guys on me! Yeah for O2

They have a quiet room that you can go into to breastfeed and it never failed, Tim always fell asleep in there!

So little. Gabe dropped down to 4lbs 14oz and hung out there for awhile, slowly he went back up to his birth weight.

He loves his soother!

Bath time! This was nurse Dawn showing me how to bath Gabe. I was so nervous the first time I gave him his bath in there, he was so tiny.

First day in a crib. He spent the first week in the isolette/incubator.

This was the first time I got to see him. They kept him under the warmer so they could monitor his breathing. Everyone was so impressed that he was breathing room air and wasn't on the ventilator. That's my boy!!!

Tim all dressed in the scrubs, waiting to be taken for surgery.
I have really wanted to sit down and type up Gabe's crazy birth story, but by the end of my busy day I just want to do nothing or go to bed! This will have to do until I can get more energy and time!
The pregnancy was going great and then at 27 weeks I started bleeding. My Dr. gave me the shot to help Gabe's lungs develop and had me go into the hospital every week for non-stress tests. I also began weekly doctor visits. I continued to have spotting but I felt great and baby looked wonderful and was growing, everything looked really good. At about 3:30 am on July 24th, 33 weeks gestation, I woke up to my water breaking! We went into the hospital and the plan was to keep me there on bed rest where I could be monitored and they could keep an I.V. in and try to postpone labor as long as they could. I started having contractions about 10:30 am and then they really started to get intense. They started the pit to try to help get him here quicker because he wasn't handling the contractions, his heart rate was dropping and not going back up where it should and then he started having irregular heart rhythms and my blood pressure got higher and then I got a fever and the Dr. just decided to do an emergency c-section. They had a flight team standing by so that we could be flown to Calgary if needed, but lucky for us baby Gabe came out crying and weighing in at a whopping 5lbs 2oz at 5:36 pm!!! He was doing really good for a while and then started to have a hard time breathing, so they rushed him off to the NICU and there he stayed for the next 24 days!
Gabe is home and doing wonderful and we all just adore him. Heavenly Father has blessed our little family so much and we are so happy to have Gabe here with us!
8 comments:
WOW! Holy Cow! I had no idea! That is so crazy I didn't know you just went through all that. Good to hear he is doing well. That is scary. Glad that it all went ok in the end. What day was he born? and what day did you get to take him home? Wow, what a crazy summer you've had.
Wish I could be around to help.
I was too busy feeling anxiety over your experience that I forgot to mention how amazing you are! I don't know how you do it! you are like the supermom I am trying to be! Keep up the good work!
Gabe was born on the 24th, same day my water broke. Couldn't postpone labor because he was coming ready or not! We got to take him home August 17th. It has been crazy but he is worth everything we went through. So Stasha lady, when is your next one coming??? You need to give Jon a boy so he isn't alone to much longer with all the crazy girls!
He is beautiful. What a rough first month for the poor little guy {and for you too, I'm sure!} I'm glad he is home safe and sound.
He is so cute!!! I want to hold him so bad! Give him lots of hugs and kisses for me! Love you guys!
congrats rachel! he is ADORABLE! how scary for you to have all that happen, what a tough little boy you have! 24 days in the nicu isn't too bad at only 33 wks! good job! i bet you are so glad to be home and have him with you. hope you all are doing well :)
Rachel I'm so excited for your new addition! I'm so sorry it was scary! Your growing family is adorable!! I drive past your house in Bwood when I drop Amanda off for soccer and miss you tons!
Give all your cuties hugs for me!
I'm so glad Gabe is doing well. I can't believe all that you've been through, Rach, especially with the scare when Gabe stopped breathing. Bless those sweet nurses!
And I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing this post. It proves I've been missing in action since our little girl was born almost 4 weeks ago. Life can be crazy with a newborn, huh?
Sure love ya girl!
Post a Comment